The Trump Effect
Throughout his campaign, Mr. Trump made many promises. Promises that will undoubtedly affect millions of immigrants that reside in the United States. Mr. Trump has stated that in the first 100 days he will take the following actions regarding immigration policies.
1) He would cancel every executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama.
2) He would cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities
3) He would begin removing more than 2 million immigrants who have a criminal history and would cancel visas to the foreign countries that do not take their citizens back
4) He would suspend immigration from countries that he considers “terror- prone”
5) He would subject individuals who are immigrating to extreme vetting
While some of these tactics would take time to put into effect because they would require the support of Congress and the Supreme Court, some of the tactics would not require the same support and can be accomplished on day 1 of his presidency. Most concerning is that Trump has threatened to repeal DACA on day 1 for the millions of students that have applied and have received DACA.
At Bretz & Coven, LLP we have received many phone calls since the election from people who are understandably afraid of the new policies that Mr. Trump has threatened to put into place. Although we do not know with certainty what will happen, we want you to know that we are here to strongly advocate on your behalf, like we have been doing for the last 25 years.
Today, you need a strong advocate to fight on your behalf. We understand your fears. We welcome you to call us if you have any questions regarding your immigration status. If you have consulted with us in the past and have been hesitant in moving forward, we encourage you to speak to us again. This is the time to act.