Search Site
305 Broadway, Ste 100, NY, NY 10007
2555 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10468
15 Brant Avenue, Unit 8 Clark, New Jersey 07066
Call for a consultation 212-267-2555

Sponsoring a Marital Partner for Immigration with a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

The world has never been smaller, and it’s never been easier for people from different countries to meet and fall in love. If you’ve given your heart to a foreign national, you can also bestow the benefits of legal permanent resident (LPR) status. The K-1 visa application is for American citizens who wish to bring a noncitizen to the U.S. for the purpose of a legal marriage. Citizens who plan to marry outside the U.S., or whose intended spouse is already in the country, need not apply for a K-1. To petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • The petitioner is a U.S. citizen.
  • The citizen intends to marry the noncitizen within 90 days of the noncitizen’s entry to the U.S., although there are exceptions.
  • Both parties are free to marry, meaning that any previous unions have been dissolved through annulment, divorce or death.
  • The parties have met in person at least once within two years of filing the petition, or have a waiver based on religious or cultural exemption or extreme hardship (rarely granted).
  • The petitioner must establish the bona-fides of the relationship.
  • You must pay a filing fee of $340.   

Petitioners file a Form I-129F for the fiancé(e), naming all of the fiancé(e)’s children under 21 whether they plan to enter the U.S. or not under a K-2 nonimmigrant visa. Those children who are 21 may enter on a K-2 up to a year after the principal beneficiary has entered the U.S., even if the principal has adjusted his or her status already.

Once your spouse has the K-1 visa, he or she may enter the U.S. for 90 days so the wedding ceremony can take place. After the wedding, the foreign national spouse can apply for legal permanent resident (LPR) status and receive a green card. The foreign national spouse is free to remain in the U.S. while U.S. Citizenship and Immigration processes the request.  If the beneficiary does not marry the petitioner within 90 days, he or she may do so at a later date so long as it is a marriage to the original petitioner and no one else. 

Things to know about K-1 visa entry

The application process is a very hopeful time for petitioners and their fiancé(e)s, but while the parties are anxious for the many benefits, they must also be mindful of pitfalls. Here are a few brief points to understand:

  • Having been admitted on a K-1, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work and need not wait until the wedding has taken place. However, any authorization granted based on K-1 status is only valid for the 90 day life of the visa. Once married, the foreign national should file for an extended work authorization at the same time as permanent residence.
  • Fiancé(e) visas cannot be extended beyond the 90 days. If you do not marry, the fiancé(e) must leave the country or be in violation of U.S. immigration law. Any removal process that resulted could prevent the fiancé(e) from getting permission to return to the U.S. in the future.  Except, even if a beneficiary does not marry within the 90 days and overstays his or her time in the ZU.S., he or she may still file for adjustment of status based upon marriage to the same petitioner at any time thereafter.

As you look forward to a happy union, you want to avoid any frustration, delays and unnecessary expenses. To deal with the complexities of the process, consult a knowledgeable attorney at Bretz & Coven, LLP. Call us at 212-267-2555 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Immigration Consequences of Criminal and Fraudulent Conduct
The immigration consequences of criminal or fraudulent conduct can be harsh and often illogical. Even a very minor offense could have a dramatic immigration consequence, including deportation, detention without bond, being denied naturalization, a visa or re-entry into the United States. Likewise, the use of fake or fraudulent documents, aliases, and other misrepresentations can have similar immigration consequences. Kerry Bretz and Bretz & Coven have been counseling non-citizen criminal defendants, as well as their lawyers, for over 20 years. We have a long history of strategizing deportation and removal defenses, as well as applications for waivers, in very complicated cases.

Our Partners
Our Associates
Client Reviews
"Was trying to get Green Card since about 7 years. Finally when I switched to this law firm I was able to get green card very fast with great confidence. Big thanks to Eileen, Kerry, Manjit and Olga." - Dinesh, Kansas

""With an extensive criminal history: over 14 arrests, 2 State prison bids and several felony convictions no lawyer wanted my case in 2010. Thanks to the experts at Bretz & Coven who worked diligently and with precision, today I am a United States citizen." - E.A. Brooklyn, NY

"Absolutely one the best, if not the best immigration attorneys. They helped from start to finish in my green card process. At no point was I blind-sided by anything. Simply amazing!" - Leon B. Jersey City,

Awards & Affiliations
  • badge bbb #1
    logo best in New York
    2020 member
  • best in  2020
    Super Lawyer #1
    Best law firm
    Top 10 Attorney Kerry Bretz
  • Super lawyers Kerry Bretz
    Ethic 2020
  • Facebook Pages
    • Main
    Contact us

    Quick Contact Form