Search Site
305 Broadway, Ste 100, NY, NY 10007
2555 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10468
15 Brant Avenue, Unit 8 Clark, New Jersey 07066
Call for a consultation 212-267-2555

Fee Increases for H-1B and L-1 A and B Visas

On December 18, 2015, President Obama signed The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2016, a.k.a. the Omnibus Bill, which increased the H-1B visa fee by $4,000 and the L-1 fee by $4,500.  The last increase of $2,000 was passed in 2010, and expired late last year on September 30, 2015.  With these increases, Congress is looking to better fund border protection and other systems associated with tracking foreign nationals, such as the biometric entry and exit tracking system.  According to CNBC, the fee increases will raise more than a $1 billion per year.

The act will apply to all the H-1B, L-1A, and L-1B petitions filed on or December 18, 2015 through September 30, 2025.  The new fees apply to businesses meeting two specific criteria: 50 or more employees and at least 50 percent of the business’ employees are non-immigrant workers.  The fee increases apply to both new petitions and transfer petitions.  They will not apply to same-employer extensions.

An H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that temporarily allows U.S. employers to hire foreign individuals if their occupation is considered a “specialty occupation.”  Some of the specialty occupations fall under the fields of mathematics, social sciences, medicine, engineering, architecture, natural sciences, law, education, accounting, business, and other areas deemed to be appropriate.  The employee must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, or its equivalent, with a single exception for fashion models.

The L-1 visa categories are also non-immigrant visas that allows an individual to enter the U.S. with an employment purpose.  Depending on the reciprocity schedule which is determined by the country a petitioner is from, the employee may stay for the set period of time with the maximum stay period of seven years.  The L-1 visas are for employees of international companies which also have locations in the United States.  L-1 visa, as compared with the H-1B visa, is more of a relocation visa because the employee must have already worked for the company in the foreign state for a continuous year within the three years preceding entry into the U.S.  The L-1 visa holder must also work for the U.S. branch of the same company.  The L-1 visa is broken into L-1A, for executives and manager-level employees, and L-1B for other workers.

If you are seeking help on immigration matters or petitions for H-1B or L-1 visas, call the experienced attorneys at Bretz & Coven, LLP at (212) 267-2555.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Immigration Consequences of Criminal and Fraudulent Conduct
The immigration consequences of criminal or fraudulent conduct can be harsh and often illogical. Even a very minor offense could have a dramatic immigration consequence, including deportation, detention without bond, being denied naturalization, a visa or re-entry into the United States. Likewise, the use of fake or fraudulent documents, aliases, and other misrepresentations can have similar immigration consequences. Kerry Bretz and Bretz & Coven have been counseling non-citizen criminal defendants, as well as their lawyers, for over 20 years. We have a long history of strategizing deportation and removal defenses, as well as applications for waivers, in very complicated cases.

Our Partners
Our Associates
Client Reviews
"Was trying to get Green Card since about 7 years. Finally when I switched to this law firm I was able to get green card very fast with great confidence. Big thanks to Eileen, Kerry, Manjit and Olga." - Dinesh, Kansas

""With an extensive criminal history: over 14 arrests, 2 State prison bids and several felony convictions no lawyer wanted my case in 2010. Thanks to the experts at Bretz & Coven who worked diligently and with precision, today I am a United States citizen." - E.A. Brooklyn, NY

"Absolutely one the best, if not the best immigration attorneys. They helped from start to finish in my green card process. At no point was I blind-sided by anything. Simply amazing!" - Leon B. Jersey City,

Awards & Affiliations
  • badge bbb #1
    logo best in New York
    2020 member
  • best in  2020
    Super Lawyer #1
    Best law firm
    Top 10 Attorney Kerry Bretz
  • Super lawyers Kerry Bretz
    Ethic 2020
  • Facebook Pages
    • Main
    Contact us

    Quick Contact Form